Thursday, April 29, 2010

Feast Your Eyes

Few of my vintage cookery books have photographs.  Those that do usually make gravy look like an oil spill and vegetables look like the surface of an inhospitable planet.  Food styling was either non-existent or demented.

The photos in A Treasury of Great Recipes, though, are like everything else in the book: luxurious. It is hard for me to imagine all the technical challenges of trying to capture entire restaurants, or the Prices at home, with the cameras, film and printing processes of 1965 but the photographers represented in this book certainly seem to have done a fantastic job. Better than my scans can represent. 




In the above photo by William Claxton, we see the authors, in casual dress, in their own kitchen. There is a lot going on here, but let me just point out one detail: The monogrammed panels on either side of Mr. Price.

There is also a lot going on in the below photograph, not all of which I'm sure I understand, but you don't grow up in the home town of Knox Gelatin and not know an aspic when you see it. Or maybe that's just me.

Photo by Eliot Elisofon at La Pyramide restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment