Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Sandwich as a Still Life


It’s October.  Time to start thinking about Holiday entertaining.  Not that I do much of it, but I like to think about it. I like to imagine myself offering my carefully chosen guests a platter like this:




This is from a section of Snacks & Sandwiches entitled The Sandwich as a Still Life. Which reminds me that the French refer to a still life as a nature morte.

My eye is drawn first of all to the raft of pâté coming into a beach of diced aspic. As I can see from the ‘making of’ photo, that slice of pâté is at least a centimeter thick.  Also, you are supposed to have made your own loaf of pâté and diced your own aspic.  What richness! What textures!  

Then there’s the swirling mound of shrimp. I generally find that one shrimp at a time is luxury enough and I wonder: Would it be possible not to get three shrimps per bite?  



Finally, wonders of prune stuffed pork and herring with beet salad aside, we come to the lower left hand corner.  What do we have here?

If you’re thinking that that big yellow yolk is a bit off-putting, and you’re not sure you like the idea of raw egg, just remember what caviar is. Me, I was more concerned about the shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment